Monday, July 8, 2013

Mom I'm Sorry

Shelby Carlson,

This is a poem my dad wrote awhile back. He did a great job and I couldn't be more proud to be his daughter.

Mom, I’m Sorry

Mom, I’m sorry, I didn’t want it to be this way,
We should have worked it out, You had the final say.
I hope I get to see you Mom, you’d really like my place,
Surely you would enjoy my company, share a warm embrace.
Mom I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have arrived so unexpected.
Perhaps if I’d shown up later we’d have better connected.
Under different circumstances Mom, if you’d allowed,
We could have succeeded, I’d have made you proud.
Mom, I’m sorry, I tormented your future, the dreams you had.
I thought I’d make you happy, instead I made you sad.
I was your first Mom, no older sister or brother;
Yet you rejected me, thankfully I was desired by another.

Mom, I’m sorry, I know you longed to be free.
What could I have done to change things? Adrift helplessly in an amniotic sea
I could feel my heart beat Mom, my fingers could make a fist, but
I couldn’t make you want me, our lives never to coexist.
Mom, I’m sorry, you never saw me crawl, walk or run.
Set off for school, play in the summer sun.
I know you’ve created memories Mom, memories of me.
Illusions in your mind, chosen by you, never to be.

Mom, I’m sorry, I just don’t understand.
Would you have accepted me had I been planned?
I had no control Mom, concerning my conception.
How can you say I’m not me? It’s a damning perception!
Mom, I’m sorry you asked me to leave that cold December day.
Don’t forget my birthday, it would have been the fifth of May.
You should see me now Mom, with so many sons and daughters just like me,
Cradled in my Lord’s arms, for all eternity.
I hope I get to see you Mom, you’d really like my place.
Surely you’d enjoy my company, share a warm embrace.

By: Dave Carlson


Source: One Man's View

No comments:

Post a Comment