Tuesday, September 2, 2014

God Is Our Shield

"God is a shield to those whose walk is blameless." Blameless? Whose walk is blameless? Not MY walk.
Jesus was/is blameless. Because Jesus took the punishment that I deserve for my disobedience and I chose to accept that fact and love God, God considers my walk blameless.
Of course having God as my shield doesn't mean that there aren't natural consequences for my actions here on earth. It doesn't mean that things won't be hard at times. It doesn't mean that I won't be sick. It doesn't mean that my children and grandchildren will have a wonderful healthy life. It means that I have a shield to protect me from the weapons of my enemy, Satan.
It doesn't mean that others will find me blameless. On the contrary. It doesn't mean that I won't hurt people. It doesn't mean that I am able to live a life without mistakes. It doesn't mean that I will ever, in this life, be perfect. Everyone that knows me will see my faults, some totally obvious to everyone as I make horrible decisions and inexcusable mistakes. (I pray that those decisions and mistakes are few and far between.)
May I never forget that my shield is there for my good. Yes, that shield limits what I can do, just as a natural shield does. But a warrior in battle wouldn't leave his shield behind as he goes into battle even though he knows that it restricts his movements.
May I be wise enough to use that shield to protect myself and others, as much as I possibly can.

E. L. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment