Thursday, September 11, 2014

What About Today?

Portadown, Ireland Special Meetings, 2011

Amanda Fulton:

John 13 says that Jesus washed the disciples' feet. We read of things Jesus already knew about the past and the things He already knew about in the future. Then we read what He did. He knew He came from His Father, and would return back to His Father again. He knew that His hour had come. He also knew that Judas would betray Him. So I wondered what if I knew those things, that I was going back to My Father, that I was facing the cross, that a disciple would betray me? If I knew those things beforehand, what would I do? Would I try to persuade Judas not to betray me? Would I try to sort out my past? Would I go to my Father and ask Him to change His mind? He knew what would happen, but it says He went and washed the disciples' feet. This was another example that Jesus left for His disciples, another lesson. He could have talked about the future but instead, He washed their feet. He showed by His actions what we must do for another.

We were staying in a home once talking about what we would do that next week. The little girl in the home misunderstood us. She thought we were doing it that day. We explained it to her and she said, "Why talk about next week when you haven't told us about today?" For Jesus that day was important as He didn’t have many tomorrows left. What will we do today? Will we waste it and think about tomorrow? Will we waste it and think about the past? Will we spend today thinking about things we should have done? We are responsible for TODAY only. Jesus told us what to do TODAY – we must wash each other’s feet and live for others. Don't waste today thinking about tomorrow or about yesterday. We must do something WORTHWHILE. Allow your heart to go out to others, as we journey on with Jesus. We should be thinking about what we should do today. Sometimes things happen that we don’t expect, but if we leave the future in our Father's hands, we don’t have to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment