Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Straining At A Gnat And Swallowing A Camel

We talked earlier about straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel. We talked about how we were to neither swallow a camel OR swallow a gnat.
Jesus talked about the same thing, worded different, recorded in Matthew 7. Jesus was talking about judging with unequal measures.
"How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?"
Jesus wasn't happy with either large OR small things out of place in God's plan. He didn't say for people to keep quiet about the big things in our brother's eyes. He was saying that there is a specific order in which things should be done.
He said for us to get the planks out of our own eyes and THEN help our brothers with their planks.
"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."
He didn't say that we were to ignore or live with the specks of dust in our own eyes. He said to get them out. He didn't give any excuse for us to go through life with dust in our eyes.
Too often we focus on other people. Too often, the dust in our eyes causes a distorted view. Let's do all we can to get our own sight clear before we try to help others. Let's not be accusing but instead, to help.
Jesus was talking about judging when he was talking about the plank and speck in eyes.
If someone sees me stuck in the mud, they aren't judging me by saying I'm stuck in the mud. They're judging me if they say I am an idiot driver and that is why I'm always getting stuck in the mud.
We all need discernment. Discernment see me stuck in the mud. Judging assumes that it's because I'm an idiot driver that I'm stuck in the mud. Perhaps the steering wheel was stuck, someone else jerked the wheel, the mud is a different type than we normally drive through, or perhaps ... just perhaps ... I AM an idiot driver. The question of idiot driver or not is God's to say. But ANYONE could see that I was stuck in the mud!
I pray to be able to see the specks and planks in my eyes and for the ability to help anyone who needs my help. I can't do any of that myself.
It's only through God that any of us can truly help others on their spiritual journeys. When we truly see others through love, through God's eyes, can we help them.
E. E. L. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment