Thursday, December 18, 2014

"In Jesus Name, Amen"

I grew up hearing prayers that ended with, "in Jesus' name, amen." I knew the verses in the Bible that spoke of asking in Jesus' name. That's pretty serious stuff and I knew it.
What exactly does it mean to "ask in Jesus' name?" I'm sure it doesn't mean to use the words without being aware of the meaning behind them. When I end a prayer with "in Jesus' name", am I thinking about what it cost for me to be able to pray that prayer?
At the time Jesus said to ask in his name (quoted at the bottom), he was talking to his disciples. Jesus had just told them that he would be betrayed. He had been talking about himself and God, that he was going to be taken from them and killed, that God would give them the Holy Spirit to comfort them ... he knew they would need peace. He warned them that they would be treated horribly because of his name. He knew they would not only risk their lives but would be tortured to death because of his name.
His name would bring great pain and suffering into their lives. He was giving them the other side of his name too, the power in his name.
No, he wasn't telling them that they could go do anything they wanted for the rest of their lives and their every single request would be granted if they asked in Jesus' name. They knew that. He knew them and knew that they understood that. Do I fully understand that?
That power was given, in his name, for them to do God's will. It was given for them to glorify God. It was not given for them to live a easy and carefree life, doing anything that struck their fancy, without regard to how it would reflect on God's name.
How aware am I of the power in his name? Am I misusing his name by saying the words by habit without (at the time) being aware of the sacrifice and pain that gave me the right to use his name?
Every time I pray in Jesus' name, may I always be aware of 1) the reason for the power of asking in his name, 2) of the cost, and 3) of the meaning of these words: "in Jesus' name, amen."
"Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete."

E. E. L. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment