Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Will To Live

"I am not able" Moses said, "to bear this heavy load.
These people murmur at their cross and want an easy road;
Did I beget them? Why should I a nursing father be?
Take Thou my life, spare me the shame my wretchedness to see."

A loving Father understood his weary servant’s plea;
He too was grieved for long He’d sought for men with eyes to see;
He poured His spirit forth upon the elders Moses found,
That they might help men on to Israel ’s holy ground.

Elijah brave was sore distressed by Ahab’s wicked reign;
Alone he stood though all around God’s prophets had been slain;
He hid in Zidon, then returned, but fled from Ahab’s wife;
The journey seemed too great for him, he too despaired of life.

Again the Lord was quick to hear His servant’s plaintive cry;
An angel came and brought him bread and placed some water nigh;
Revived, he journeyed to the mount where God’s own voice he heard,
Anoint Elisha in thy room." God’s way was thus preserved

Job knew loss of wealth and fame, of health and loved ones too;
Curse God and die," his wife soon said; his comforters were few.
Misunderstood, his heart soon sighed, "Why died I not at birth?"
And later as the arrows pierced, he pled, God grant me death!"

His friends could never understand but God revealed his need;
"How vile I am," he said with shame, girt up his loins with speed;
"I see myself and do repent, I’ll do all He commands."
Captivity was turned to wealth when Job prayed for his friends.

Jonah was a messenger who disobeyed his God;
At other times he prophesied but now he faced the rod.
He paid his vow, the people turned, great Nineveh believed;
Displeased, he said, "Lord, take my life, I do not want to live."

The Lord prepared a gourd to grow to shelter Jonah’s head,
Then took away the life He gave, sent sun and heat instead;
Taught him the lesson all must learn, the spirit of the dove,
Where there’s no room for judgment harsh, there’s pity in His love.

And still today His servants face the tests in ev’ry land,
When storms are fierce and struggles keen, to see if they will stand;
Discouragement, as health may fail, or friends may prove unkind;
To prove their worth, to bring them low, to teach them His own mind.

As disappointments plague their path we plead for them today,
That they may find in Thee their strength, refreshing for the way.
Lift Thou their eyes anew to see the fight is not in vain;
Bless them, O God, with courage new, THE WILL TO LIVE again.

Written by Dick Middleton - April 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment